Phosphatidylserine – a supplement all ages can benefit from!
- Phosphatidylserine (PS) keeps brain cells healthy – PS is an important nutrient for keeping brain cells at optimal health. It is a phospholipid, which is a type of fat that has a structure that makes it both attracted to water and repelled by water. This type of structure enables phospholipids to form a phospholipid bilayer, or phospholipids arranged into two parallel layers. This layer, in turn, forms a key component of human brain cell membranes. By supporting brain cell membrane health, PS helps stave off toxins, pathogens, and other unwanted substances in the brain. PS is also needed by neurons to conduct nerve impulses. It is also important for preserving neuroplasticity and increases brain cell fluidity, which allows cells to stay adaptable and efficiently respond to stressors.
- Phosphatidylserine increases neurotransmitters – PS promotes the release of three key neurotransmitters: serotonin, dopamine, and acetylcholine. These neurotransmitters are responsible for almost all aspects of life – mood, stress, sleep, concentration, memory, and others. In addition, phosphatidylserine accelerates communication between brain cells for faster thinking. However, approximately 86 percent of people have low levels of these neurotransmitters. Thus, supplementing with phosphatidylserine will be helpful to increase the levels of these neurotransmitters.
- Phosphatidylserine decreases cortisol levels – PS can prevent the effects of stress by reducing cortisol levels. Cortisol is a hormone responsible for stress, and too much of this hormone can greatly affect health. It can increase inflammation, which can eventually result in diabetes, obesity, heart disease, immune system suppression, and digestive problems. It also harms both brain and mental health.
- Phosphatidylserine(PS) prevents age-related cognitive decline – Phosphatidylserine, as a supplement, is a safe and effective memory enhancer for children and adults. Moreover, it prevents age-related mental decline and helps treat Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and depression frequently experienced by older adults.
- Phosphatidylserine(PS) improves attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms – ADHD is a mental disorder characterized by excessive activity, inattentiveness, and impulsiveness. This condition affects over 10 percent of school-age children. PS supplementation may be a safe and effective natural treatment for ADHD in place of prescription stimulants like Adderall or Ritalin, which have side effects. In a study, PS supplementation has been found to offer significant improvement in ADHD symptoms in children.
- Phosphatidylserine enhances other brain supplements – PS enhances the effects of other brain supplements like curcumin, fish oil, and Ginkgo biloba. Curcumin, one of the most notable all-around brain enhancers, is the active compound of turmeric. It increases blood flow to the brain, decreases inflammation, and enhances production of serotonin and dopamine. It also protects the brain from aging and brain plaques linked to Alzheimer’s. Unfortunately, curcumin is extremely poorly absorbed in the body. With PS, curcumin’s bioavailability increases.